This will be my most favourite superfood so far.I am sure that lots of you have already tired cacao in some form, in chocolate or some homemade sweets. But I will not talk about that cacao today. I will talk about raw unprocessed cacao powder and raw cacao nibs.
The benefits of cacao are truly fantastic: it can improve your memory, reduce heart disease, boost immunity, and create loads of energy. It may surprise you to discover that raw cacao contains nearly four times the antioxidant content of regular processed dark chocolate, 20 times more than blueberries, and 119 times more than bananas. Wauu! Can you believe it?
Benefits of cacao
- Some days you just need to find your bliss – cacao is one of the healthiest foods, you can consume. Cacao contains the mood improver, anandamide – known as the bliss molecule, which creates a feeling of euphoria. I get this feeling every time when I eat dark chocolate with orange peel and almonds 🙂
- Balance Hormonal Mood Swings: Cacao boosts brain levels of serotonin, the feel good brain chemical. When women are experiencing PMS serotonin levels drop dramatically. The benefits of cacao are proven to boost the brain levels of calming hormones and restore feelings of well-being. I can sure you that hot cacao drink can help you with PMS and with cramps too. During colder days I like to have hot cacao, it’s keeps me warm,cozy and happy :). You should definitely try this!
- Protect Your Heart and Prevent Cardiovascular Disease: Flavanols an anti-inflammatory and heart protective antioxidant found in raw cacao may protect against cardiovascular disease, and help improve blood circulation. That`s the reason why it is so much better to try to have a cup of hot cacao next time when you have cramps and not to run for a pill.
- Cacao is antioxidants that mean that protects our cells from premature oxidation or destruction and can keep us looking and feeling younger longer.
- Cacao creates loads of energy and combat fatigue with one of the highest concentrations of magnesium. I like to have chocolate banana milkshake before I hit the gym it gives me such a boots of energy.
- Better digestion thanks to the fibre found in raw cacao, that stimulates the body’s digestive enzymes
Cacao nibs are cacao beans that have been peeled and chopped up. Think of them as the crunchy super food version of chocolate chips and these tasty little treats work well as a replacement to chocolate chips. They have the same benefits as raw cacao and you can use them in smooties or in cookies.
If you want me to write you a couple of recipes how you can use cocoa, let me know in the comments!